Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Bicycling in Annecy

I've pretty much accepted the fact that I risk my life every day when riding my bike to and from class. Many people here ride their bikes, but it is really an unfriendly bike town. The streets are narrow, people are always walking out and about, and those driving cars seem to invent their own right-of-way laws.

My bike ride starts off at my host families house which is on top of a very steep hill. Just down from this hill is the piste cyclable, or bike trail. The piste parallels the shores of Lake Annecy for about two miles, which is a very pretty ride. This bike trail isn't all fun and games, however. It's usually filled with other bikers who look like they're training for the Tour de France (which, by the way, is scheduled to stop in Annecy this year. Too bad I won't be here...). The bike trail is also filled with people walking (with or without dogs), running (with or without dogs), and rollerblading (with or without dogs). All of these people can certainly get in the way, especially since everyone is moving at different speeds. The other day, I pulled into the other lane to pass an elderly-looking couple only to see the future Lance Armstrong rushing toward me. It was a near-miss, but I definitely felt (and smelled) the breeze.

My bike ride continues into the main centre ville of Annecy. Once I cross over Rue de Marquisats (think of Mission in Mount Pleasant with only two lanes), I end up in the center of all the craziness. On Tuesdays and Fridays, the town center (photo on the right) is bustling with a farmer's market. I usually hop on foot for this, as it is nearly impossible to peddle anywhere without running over someone or something.

On days that the market is not active, the rues piétonnes (pedestrian streets) make for decent bike travel...in the morning, that is. In the evening, the streets fill up with people, making a quick, clear sail through the centre ville nearly impossible. On days that there are too many people, I dodge down a narrow one-way street. All is find and dandy until a car comes along, in which case it is usually necessary to stop peddling to allow the car to pass.

Nearly 3.5 miles later, my bike ride finishes by following Rue de la Gare before turning onto Chemin de la Praire. All is fine on these streets until the schools let out for the day. At that time, I can pretty much count on non-stop traffic at all of the crosswalks and a crazy amount of pedestrians on the sidewalks.

For now, I have yet to be hit...or to hit anyone, though I did almost hit a pigeon the other day. I really do enjoy my bike ride to and from class as it is very relaxing and scenic (or as the French say, zen). Let's hope that it stays that way.


View Bike Ride in a larger map
ABOVE: My bike route as plotted on Google Maps

2 comments:

  1. I've been waiting for this one! What a wonderful opportunity. Regardless of the people, it still sounds like a beautiful ride. Thanks, so much for sharing your experiences. I've enjoyed keeping up with you. The photos are entirely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete