Monday, June 15, 2009

Kébabs and Ice Cream

The döner kebab (or simply kébab in France) is a Turkish dish that has become popular in many countries around the world. Similar to a gyro, the kebab usually involves beef shavings, lettuce, onions, and some type of sauce all stuffed into a half pita.

I first tried a döner kebab when I visited Berlin, Germany in 2006. Since I had not seen this item at all in the United States, I figured it was something specific to Germany. A little more research revealed that döner kebabs are very popular in Europe, Asia, and Australia. The kebab craze is definitely noticeable in France. With well over 5 kebab shops just in the centre ville of Annecy alone, they are certainly not hard to find. And due to their cheapness, quickness, and deliciousness, they have become my favorite dish in Annecy.

When ordering a kebab, it's necessary to specify two things: with/without fries and the sauce. Sauces vary from ketchup, mayonnaise, sauce blanche (a white garlic sauce), harissa (a spicy red sauce), curry, and others. Also, if you order fries, they will come piled on top of the kebab, sometimes drenched in the specified sauce. I still haven't figured out the proper protocol with the fries. I've been dumping them onto a napkin and eating them separately, usually after I've finished the kebab. I've seen people eat them first, right from the kebab. I've also seen people eat the whole thing at one time...fries and all. I'll eventually get the hang of it.

Annecy is also loaded with ice cream shops, which are even more plentiful than kebab restaurants. Most of these places manufacture their own ice cream on location. I've been enamored by the chocolate/Nutella combination, but I have tried other flavors. You have to catch these shops at the right hour though, or you will be waiting in line for quite some time (even when it's cold outside).

For now, I'm not going hungry in Annecy. I feel like I've eaten my weight in kebabs and ice cream alone. Not to worry though, I've been walking and biking enough to work it all off!

Next food item to try: tartiflette.


ABOVE: A kébab with sauce blanche.

4 comments:

  1. You'll have to tell us how the tartiflette is. I was too afraid to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying to try one of the kebab sandwiches! Yummy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I looked up tartiflette and it has all of my favorite food groups: cheesy, potato-y, and BACON! LOL. "All recipes have potatoes, cheese, and some kind of meat such as bacon. It is extremely popular at mountain restaurants during the ski season since it is savoury, high in calories and relatively easy to cook and keep warm for an hour or more without deterioration in quality."

    ReplyDelete