Monday, June 22, 2009

Pâtisseries, boulangeries, and chocolateries

Yes--I'm going to write another blog post about food. What's not to like about food...especially the French way? France is famous for its cheese, wine, boulangeries, and of course, its pâtisseries.

The other day, I found out that the name "pâtisserie" (translating to 'pastry shop') is a legally controlled title only given to those businesses who meet certain criteria. One of the criterion is that the business in question must employ a "maître pâtissier," or master baker. I'm not exactly sure what all goes on to become a master baker, but I do know that a written test is involved before the title is officially granted. A lot of times, a maître pâtissier opens a boulangerie (bread store) or chocolaterie (chocolate store) right along side of the pâtisserie. That only makes sense, right?

In Annecy, pâtisseries, boulangeries, and chocolateries abound, just as they do in nearly every French city of decent size. I pass a bread shop/bakery every day on my way to class. I'm amazed at the variety of bread that is displayed in their window. I am always tempted to stop in for a pain au chocolat, which is a croissant-like pastry with light chocolate filling. When I am on the road in France, this is my favorite treat for breakfast as it is fast, cheap, and delicious (just like the kebabs).

Speaking of bread, I am also amazed at how fast my family can go through bread and baguettes. One day, my family bought three different types of bread, which were all gone by the end of dinner. They eat bread for breakfast, lunch, le goûter (a snack-type meal at around 5pm), and dinner. In all fairness, I find myself indulging on the bread too. My breakfast in the morning usually consists of cutting a 4-inch long piece of baguette, cutting it in half the long way, and covering it with cherry jam. Mmmmm.

I do know one thing: the French would unquestionably fail the Atkins diet. Wouldn't you if you were surrounded by all of this sweet, sugary, carb-filled goodness?


ABOVE: A pâtisserie in the Croix-Rousse quarter of Lyon, France


ABOVE: A tarte framboise (raspberry tart) that I bought in Lyon.

1 comment:

  1. If you pack very, very carefully, I'm pretty sure you could manage to bring a few of those raspberry tarts with you when you come back to work!

    ReplyDelete